Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina affecting my area (DC area)

After a marathon news watching 48 hours (minus time to go to dialysis) of all the events surrounding Katrina, the storm has finally moved north enough to affect the DC metro area. As of this writing there is a Tornado Watch box over my location and most of central and north Virginia. One "preliminary" report from Fauquier County of a touchdown. Nothing like 2004 when the remenants of Hurricane Ivan passed through. I will be keeping an eye out overnight however.

After watching so much news about this Hurricane I have come to few conclusions: CNN rocks on coverage for this event, and The Weather Channel blows (pardon the punn). I was very disappointed in TWC's coverage of the event. With very little input from the crews they actually had out there, to not providing dynamic coverage of event and weather. While I understand they are not a 24 hour news channel, but a 24 hour weather channel (that also has to provide daily weather updates), I just felt that The Weather Channel did not show enough initiative. They quite simply relied too much on the way they've done it in the past, and did not recognize that they are competiting for airtime, coverage, reputation, and more. In the I would rank CNN as having the best coverage, MSNBC in second. FoxNews would come in third place and TWC in last place. If there were others, well they'de have to be ranked lower, cause I didn't even know they were covering it.

I heard from Amos Magliocco that Jeff Gammons and Chris Collura are safe and heading back to southern Florida. Jim Edds is staying behind, likely to film aftermath footage. I can't wait to see the footage.

No comments: